Projects for 2018
Some of my projects have been ongoing for the past few years and some are just beginning. I always have a few Guineas and a couple of Heritage Breed Turkeys around. They pretty much free range and keep everyone else in order.
A favorite project is my Chocolate Araucana's. It's a long term thing for me and I expect to work on the project a few more years before they are ready to show or sell. I plan to perfect them before selling anything from this pen. I am dabbling with both the Dun gene that makes a chocolate color as well as the Recessive/Sex Linked gene that came from the Orpingtons when the first Chocolate Orpingtons were imported into the US from Great Britain. I'm even working on producing a color not seen yet in the United States, called Beige in the UK, the color is a special combination of Dun plus chocolate. The end product will essentially be an Araucana but chocolate in color.
Current breeds I have at this time are:
- Tomaru - A longcrowing breed from Japan
- Denizli - A longcrowing breed from Turkey
- Sanjak - Longcrowers from Austria
- Araucana - The "true" Rumpless Tufted breed created from South American landraces
- Grey Jungle Fowl and Hybrids (also called Bengals)
- Ceylon Jungle Fowl
- Gen Jungle Fowl
- Red Jungle Fowl
- Sumatra - a Longtailed breed from the Island of Sumatra
- Chantecler - the white variety from Canada lines
- Cemani - a work in progress as well as used in some projects
- Colored egg layers - Including EE's, OE's and others.
- Not included as breeders but I also have Mute Swans, Guineas and some cute Call Duck males.